Beyond what's required
Community Service Award honors agents for extraordinary service to others
An article in the October issue of Rough Notes magazine kicked off the nomination process for the Rough Notes Company's 2012 Community Service Award. Nominations will be accepted through the end of 2011.
Agents, brokers or their entire firms may be nominated for charitable work that demonstrates selfless commitment to the needs of other people in their community or around the world. Although these agency volunteers are motivated by service rather than recognition, it is hoped that the award—by promoting agents' community service work—will inspire others in our industry to take up their own service causes.
The award winner will receive a check for $5,000 payable to the charity of the winner's choice. The winner also will be the guest of the Rough Notes Company at a dinner in March 2012, along with members of the Rough Notes editorial advisory board. It will be the 13th annual presentation of the award.
Winners of this award demonstrate a commitment of caring that goes beyond attending meetings of charity organizations. They are leaders who spearhead service projects, enthusiastically giving of their time and money and, in the process, inspiring others to do the same. Somehow they find the time amidst their own busy work schedules to pay attention to the needs of those who are less fortunate, and to serve those needs. By stretching themselves, they make their communities and the world a better place.
Nominations may come from anyone in the industry—another agent, an insurance company person, an association or other industry organization that has contact with the nominee. On the next two pages you will find the details concerning nominations as well as the Nomination Form itself.
The Rough Notes Company has a long-standing (133-year) commitment to the independent agency system. We are proud of that association and especially proud when we think of the service work that agents perform outside their everyday business responsibilities.
We look forward to honoring that work with our 13th annual Community Service Award.
The Rough Notes Company
Community Service Award
Award Conditions and Prerequisites
Purpose: To recognize and present an award to an independent insurance broker, agent or agency that has demonstrated extraordinary community service within his/her/its local, regional or national community. And, to present the winning community service project with a check in the amount of $5,000 to help further its special cause(s).
Criteria: Nominees will be judged on their overall contribution (funds raised, people helped, volunteerism, etc.) to their community service project and/or initiative, and the positive impact (both short-term and long-term) that their efforts have made toward their community service project.
Nomination Period: Nominations will be accepted at the offices of Rough Notes magazine by U.S. mail, overnight delivery or hand delivery up to and including December 31, 2011. No nomination forms will be accepted after December 31, 2011. Please note that no facsimiles or e-mails will be accepted.
1. Nominators must complete the nomination form in its entirety and provide all supporting documentation;
2. All nomination forms and supporting documentation must be received at the offices of Rough Notes magazine no later than December 31, 2011;
3. No facsimiles or e-mails will be accepted;
4. All nomination forms and supporting documentation become the exclusive property of The Rough Notes Company. Further, the nomination form and supporting documentation may be used at the sole discretion of Rough Notes magazine to publicize the award and award recipient, and to promote the Community Service Award program;
5. A letter from the community service project verifying and describing the project must accompany the nomination form;
6. Incomplete nomination forms or nomination forms without supporting documents will not be considered;
7. Nominators may nominate themselves or their agency.
Note: Please detail only one service project per nominee.
Selection: Designated individuals from The Rough Notes Company and selected others will review all nomination forms and supporting documentation and select a winner and honorable mention recipients.
The winner and honorable mention recipients will be honored at Rough Notes magazine's Marketing Agency of the Year awards dinner in Indianapolis. A representative of the winning community service project will also be invited to attend this function to be honored and presented with a check.
1. The winning community service project will be presented with a check in the amount of $5,000 in the name of the award recipient.
2. The winning broker, agent or agency will be presented with a sculptured engraved eagle.
3. Rough Notes magazine will publish an article to publicize the community service project and the award winner.
4. The awards dinner will be held in Indianapolis in early 2012.
Mailing: All nomination forms and supporting documents are to be sent to:
The Rough Notes Company
Attn: Community Service Award
11690 Technology Drive
Carmel, Indiana 46032-5600