PLUS Special Section
Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) International Conference Special Section
By Phil Zinkewicz
November 11-13, 2009
Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
The fee for PLUS members is $925; the fee for non-members is $1,150.
The Conference hotel is the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
(312-464-1000). Single rooms in the PLUS block are $250 per night; double rooms are $270. For information about lodging, conference registration or other conference information, go to www.plusweb.org or contact the Professional Liability Underwriting Society at (800) 845-0778.
(Go to www.plusweb.org for a detailed schedule)
Wednesday, November 11
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Registration and Networking Lounge open
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Leadership & Accountability Workshop presented by Walter Bond, former NBA player and “America’s Accountability Leader”
1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Presentation by Dr. Robert P. Hartwig, CPCU, President of the Insurance Information Institute
2:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Opening Keynote Address by former President Bill Clinton
6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Opening Night Reception
Thursday, November 12
7:15 a.m. - 8:15 a.m.
PLUS Foundation Women’s Leadership Initiative featuring
Christa Davies, CFO, Aon Corporation
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Registration and Networking Lounge open
8:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
• Pension Funds, The Financial Crisis, and Ponzi Schemes - What’s Next for Fiduciaries?
• Changing Tides - Supreme Court Decisions and Securities Class Action Lawsuits
• The “Vue”: Managing Rising Defense & E-Discovery Costs
• Excess Surplus, the Solutions Based Market for Professional Exposure
10:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
• What REALLY Happens After a Breach or Electronic Data Loss Event
• Surveying and Surviving the Wreckage Below: All About Excess
• Who Wants to be an E&O Underwriter in This Environment?
• Tort Reform in Reverse? A GREAT Year for E&O Plaintiffs
11:30 a.m. - 1:45 p.m.
Lunch with Keynote Address by Malcolm Gladwell, best-selling author and staff writer for The New Yorker Magazine
2:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
General Session: “The Secret Sauce: Using Diversity for a Sustainable Competitive Advantage” featuring Corbette Doyle, CPCU, ARM, Vanderbilt University
3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
• Insurance Innovation: An Oxymoron?
• I Can’t Get Them to Settle…
• Professional Services Firm Contracts: Fair Bargaining or Adhesion?
• The Credit Crunch - What’s Crime Got to Do With It?
Friday, November 13
7:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Registration and Networking Lounge open
9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
• Executive Compensation, Corporate Governance, Global Warming: The Heat is On!
• Do High Unemployment & Expansion of Employees’ Rights Equal More Claims?
• View from the Top - Healthcare and Medical Professional
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
Conference Closing Remarks
10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Industry Update by Marvin Zonis, Professor Emeritus, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago Business School followed by an Industry Leaders Panel moderated by Marvin Zonis